I am totally in love with this dress! The fabric
is just awesome and I am pretty pleased with how the dress turned out.
It´s a very simple (self drafted) pattern. I didn´t want to
"destroy" the print with unnecessary seams and darts and I tried to do the vintage
fabric justice (it´s a Marimekko print from 1962) with a 60ies A-line
style. The dress only has darts in the back and dropped shoulders. In the back, I sewed in a semi exposed metallic riri zipper from my stash that is perfectly matching the turquoise main color. The dark stripe in the third picture repeats every yard or so and probably is a result from a not so perfect print - in reality, it is not that dominant.
I also put a lot of care into the inside of the dress: I lined it
with cotton batiste and used red bias tape to finish the facings and
the hems. At the back seam, I left the selvedge exposed because I like
that the name of the fabric and the designer is indicated. It seems a
bit off-center because I had to match the print on the
I love all things handmade! This blog is a record of my crafting projects (mainly sewing and knitting), but I also write about traveling, cooking and every day life if I find it worth sharing. Please leave a comment if you like it!